Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Day 4: The dog days are over

Brace yourselves, this is gonna be one of those heart to heart posts.

Significant moment of the day: My dog had a heartworm procedure.

Poppy has heart worms. Well she did, they are now being treated. It is by no means is a death sentence, however she is forbidden from being off her leash or running for several months. That to me seems like a death sentence. This is a dog that lives for chasing squirrels and exploring the neighborhood. I know what you're thinking. I'm being dramatic. But today I had to do two things I have never done. I  had to pick my dog up from the vet's office and help her into my car, and I had to make her eat. These are two things made me realize I'm no longer the thirteen year old who received polaroids of a new puppy in her care package at camp. I've grown up. Well, not entirely I mean my favorite cereal is still Lucky Charms and I win every game of Disney Scene It thrown my way. Nevertheless, it would take me more than one post to name the ways I have changed in seven years. And Poppy has been with me for pretty much all of them.

We may not be able the same miscreants we were years ago. We may not be able to run and chase around the house for months to come. But if we can make it through the next few months, I'm ready for another seven years of friendship.

Just for reference here are:
THE TOP TEN WAYS I HAVE CHANGED IN THE LAST SEVEN YEARS:

10. I no longer wear bandana's as a fashion statement
9. Good Charlotte, Trapt, Smile Empty Soul, and Marilyn Manson no longer define my life
8.  I don't hate New York (but Burger King still sucks)
7.  I started wearing makeup...my eyes are no longer squinty, thank you
6. I've developed sarcasm as a second language
5. I can drive
4. My hair color is bi-monthly
3. I grew like...2 feet
2. I've learned how to balance friendships (thank you Facebook!)
1.  I can form my own opinions

Shucks. Wasn't that grand?

Number 1 segways into........... the Opinion of the Day!

It's not really an opinion its more of a query...why is there nothing good to do in winter?

Seriously. In summer, it is ten times easier. Maybe it's just small New England towns, but when it comes to activities that are fairly cheap (but still fun) I grasp at straws. Your options are as slim as Jim. Here's my list of winter activities that get old really fast but don't cost money:

LIST OF WINTER ACTIVITIES THAT GET OLD REALLY FAST BUT ARE CHEAP:
Movie marathons
Game nights
Going to the mall and looking at things we can't buy
Free samples from Sarku
Ice skating on frozen (hopefully) ponds
Reading book trilogies in under 72 hours and then becoming depressed when you finish
Youtube
Sledding
Staring contests/thumb wrestling
Watching underrated TV sitcoms which have gone off the air on Hulu, and then getting really sad when you realize they will never come back on
Facebook stalking people you went to high school with
Learning all the words to One Week by the Barenaked Ladies....and then coming up with hand gestures
Knitting
Snuggling
Making forts out of couch cushions
Trying on assorted sweaters at Salvation Army
Grocery cart races at Shaw's

I could gone on, but I think you get the picture. So....if anyone has any suggestions please feel free to leave me some. As you can see, i'm out of ideas and its only January 4th.

No wonder bears hibernate.

2 comments:

  1. Learning all the words to One Week by the Barenaked Ladies. We're doing this. And End of the World by R.E.M, and Semi-Charmed Life, by 3eb:)

    ReplyDelete