Saturday, January 29, 2011

Day 27: Oh America...what an ugly swan you are

Significant moment of the day: Yelling at Troglodytes during class

Troglodytes: a member of various people who lived or reputed to live chiefly in caves. syn: cavemen

Okay. So I didn't yell at actual cavemen. But the way they snickered at the factors of metabolism ("the harder you go blah blah blah) during Anatomy and Physiology class left no shadow of doubt in my mind that Darwin's evolutionary theory is absolute. To be fair, I don't necessarily like Anatomy and Physiology class (and I too snickered at the harder you go the faster the release the first time)... but i can respect the teacher and the class enough to sit quietly for an hour and take notes. And after about 5 times of the teacher saying that phrase...they were still laughing. And yelling out a kids name who no longer attended the class. I knew that kid no longer attended class because the students next to them who encouraged them on kept mentioning that fact AND how he also gave them free drinks at parties. I didn't want to learn it...but since they were drowning out anything the teacher had to say..that was how I spent about 40 minutes of that class. Before...I turned around and something unladylike...let us say "shut the duck up". And when they snickered at the fact they were being told to shut up, I added in my big girl voice "i am not above hitting you". I added it with a glare, and for the rest of the class they were quiet.

and people say violence is never the answer. Well violence maybe not...but threats bring peace.

Sticking along the same lines as yesterday (and when I mean yesterday I mean wednesday...I've been sick/tired to keep up.) I figured I would proclaim:

THE TOP FIVE SHOWS WHICH SHOULD'VE NEVER BEEN CREATED.

5. Flavor of Love
No. Just...no. Trashy girls fighting for the love of a trashy guy who looks like he spent half his life eating battery acid and living in a sewer?  No.
4. Jersey Shore
I do not understand why it has a cult following. And I refuse to accept the answer "its a guilty pleasure" or "it's just funny to watch how stupid they are". You know why? Because at the end of the day, you are still watching it and therefore supporting a horrible show. I challenge anyone to give me ONE redeeming quality. But you can't because in essence you have a group of un-educated promiscuous selfish idiots all vying for attention, all of which confirm everyone's stereotypical images about New Jersey. I will bet my college education the idiots who sit behind me in A&P watch this show.
3. Teen Mom/16 and Pregnant
It glamorizes teen pregnancy. The show presents it like its some sort of game of playing house, when in reality, teen pregnancy is kind of a big deal. By putting a show about teen mom's on the air it pretty much says to teens "hey if you get pregnant, at least you can get on tv". But does the show explain that teen mother's have a low expectancy of finishing high school let alone going to college? OR their children are more likely to be youth-at-risk? Nope. The fact that teen pregnancy ratings have gone up in the past few years only summarizes my point. So congrats MTV, you did it.
2. The Swan
Okay so this show was made in 2004, and its pretty much lived in my mind of one of the most terrible and superficial shows in the history of time. It was a show on Fox (shocking) that took ugly women (literally, that was the criteria) and gave them extreme makeovers with tons of plastic surgery to make them "beautiful". On every episode, two women were featured and of the two, one was sent home and one moved on to compete in "The Swan Pageant" at the end of the season. Um...do I even have to critic this one or can we all agree its an incredibly misogynistic/sexist show which instead of building women up to believe they are beautiful no matter what they look like, takes them and transforms them to fit a cookie cutter idea of beauty. The fact that this show was on for 2 full seasons and part of a third, makes me weep for humanity. Fail, America. You are an ugly swan.
1. Bridalplasty
A bridal plastic surgery competition, where 12 women compete to win dream weddings and plastic surgery. Okay. This show is pretty much The Ugly Swan...but with women who are terrible on the inside and out. At least Swan had the integrity to take women who were nice people and then transform them into Barbies. But no. On this show women create plastic-surgery wish lists and compete in wedding themed competitions to win the prize. ALSO every week the winner of the week's challenge wins an item (or pretty much a body part) off of her plastic surgery wish list. And at the end of every show, the host leaves the eliminated bride with the words "your wedding will still go on, but it just won't be perfect". Wow America... you have officially hit rock bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment