Sunday, January 16, 2011

Day 15: Well haven't we fallen down the rabbithole.

Significant moment of the day: Working on my screenplay!

For those who do not know, I am writing a screenplay with the lovely and talented Sam Hossler. We've been working on the script for over a year now, and its really coming along. Anyways I made really good strides on it by editing and adding some scenes to create more accessible characters and plot lines. Yay progress!

Speaking of progress if anyone hasn't voted on the Lauren Willig website where I designed a contest entry, and still wants to be a cool kid they should click on this link:
Right here! The contest ends today and I really want a free book and tote bag. If we're friends, I'll share?

Opinion of the day:  Curiouser and curiouser...i was wrong?!

Well earlier in the day I posted my Day 14 shenanigans because I was very tired. In the post i discussed the  various disorders and ailments of all Disney Princesses and how evidently every strong female role in Disney must either have a serious sometimes non-resolved flaw, or share their movie title with a male counterpart. In the end I came to the conclusion that the only lead female role in Disney which:
A) wasn't a princess (although she was honorary)
B)  didn't share her movie title
C) didn't have a disorder/flaw/disease

and that was Mulan (yay Mulan!). However I was wrong (gasp!) I know, its a rare thing for me to admit when it comes to Disney. The lovely Allegra pointed out I was missing a Disney heroine who made it through all her obstacles without a male counterpart, was the title character AND wasn't a disney princess.

Alice, from Alice in Wonderland.  

Well first I tried arguing that she took drugs to make her shrink and grow, she often relied on the Cheshire cat, and she was obsessed with the white rabbit...(all drug-suggestive btw)

But in the end, she passed the test. For starters, everything that happens to her happens in a dream or alternative universe so really its not her flaws portrayed, but the conscious state of mind she is in. Also, the point of the Lewis Carroll book was to illustrate from a child's point of view the confusing journey of coming of age into an adult society where social etiquette is highly regarded, but sometimes viewed as ridiculous. In the story, Lewis Carroll meant for the character Alice to be the one to ask "why" in concern to what rules people blindly follow in society. In the end, Alice understands the rules to Wonderland society as strange as they may be, before she realizes its all a "pack of cards". And when she wakes up she is no longer a child, but is ready to face the challenges of adult society.

So yea. That makes two worthy lead Disney female characters. I guess you could say "It's the most curious thing I ever said in my life!"

And that's saying something, since i've seen a cat without a grin, and a grin without a cat.

2 comments: