Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Day 11: I protest protests.

Significant moment of the day: Volunteering for hospice.

For those of you who do not know, I started volunteering for a hospice service this summer. It really stuck with me, and I just picked it up again this week (which stinks because I leave in 2 weeks). It may not be the most glamorous way to spend my winter break, but it is definitely one of the most fulfilling things I can do. It reminds me why I am studying to be a recreational therapist, because I want to be able to bring joy to more than one person once a week.

Speaking of reaching out to people... my opinion of the day: The Westboro Baptist Church.

I didn't think it was possible, but the Westboro Baptist Church has sunk to a new low. I don't know who thought of it, but whoever decided that the Church should picket Christina Green's funeral has absolutely no soul. For those of you who don't who I am talking about, Christina Green was the 9 year old victim in the Tucson shooting a few days ago. And the Westboro Baptist Church has decided that her funeral will be the site of their next protest

Honestly, I don't care what religion someone practices... as long as they tolerate other people's beliefs and they don't hurt themselves or others in the name of their religion. Evidently, some people do not feel the same way.

Because if you believe your God or deity would approve of you picketing not only at someone's funeral (which is a crime within itself)....but a 9 year old victim, you need a new God. Seriously. Especially if your motives for protesting at said child's funeral is because of the religion she practiced with her family, in the wake of a tragedy which killed 6 innocent people and more than a dozen injured.

The world has already seen that situation played out a thousand times over. But some people never seem to learn from the world's tragedies as long as they have a sign or symbol in their hand and hatred in their hearts.

Here is the article I am referencing if you want to know more about the Westboro Baptist Church picketing Christina Green's funeral.

No comments:

Post a Comment