Monday, January 24, 2011

Day 24: How would George Orwell feel about talking baby advertisements?

Significant moment of the day: First day of classes, spring semester

A big woot. Except, not really. You know this semester is going to be terrible when you're already stressed and you just finished the first day of classes. Oh boy this should be interesting. I mean, I actually like the classes I am/will be taking.  Three are repeats of the fall semester (as in its a year long course, not i fail at life) and the three others should be good. Intro to creative writing, The Old Regime and the French Revolution (so pumped!) and Admin of TR (meh..but its once a week with people i work well with). So thats me in a nutshell. Good times. Sorry if this post is less than my chipper self. i just spent the past two hours filling out job applications for the summer/preparing for a pre-screen interview for a TR internship in Georgia. Bah! Wish me luck!

Although as much fun as Georgia would be, I kind of want a job in New England so I can either live at home or in the city. Plus I wouldn't have to fly up for a certain couple's wedding. hem hem. Anyways...hopefully i get SOMETHING this summer which relates to TR. I may volunteer with Make a Wish as one of the people who come up with how to grant the wishes. Like a genie.

I could be a GENIE this summer. PERFECT.

Anyways... I really need to start thinking of more opinions/ ideas/ lists for these daily updates. I feel like I am in a slump. I mean...first day of classes for the second half of junior year? Not exactly what I had in mind when I wanted to make each day count. Who knows, though. Maybe tomorrow I'll ski blind folded or piss off some homeless people downtown.

The world is my oyster.

Opinion of the day: Talking baby commercials and how they will lead to America's downfall.

Okay. Honestly, I don't understand why companies use talking babies. They are NOT cute. Babies should not have monotone adult male voices, pretend to be adults or try to sell phones. It's creepy, its awkward and its just plain bad advertising. I mean, its the whole misspelled business signs all over again. Those advertisements actually make me NOT want to buy that product... just for the sole purpose that the company goes out of business and as a result I don't have to watch a baby pretend to check its fantasy football scores on its phone. I mean, why do companies think thats a good pitch? It just makes their product look childish.

Maybe they are running under the whole, its so easy a child can do it. But then thats just depressing in itself especially when it comes to smartphones. Because the sad thing is...some children have already mastered the phone by the time they are 4. And that scares the bajesus out of me. Because as great as technology is... we are becoming too reliant on it. This upcoming generation? Is already so invested in technology. Most parents buy pretty much all electronic/technology friendly games, toys, learning devices for their toddlers, babies, tweens and teens. The Ipad was named the "best children's product of 2010". That's terrifying. I wouldn't trust myself with that and you're just going to hand it over to a 3 year old so he can learn his ABC's on a touchscreen? No good.

This image...NO GOOD
If there is an apocalypse anytime soon and technology is wiped out...I honestly fear for the next generation. They won't know how to do ANYTHING. At least when I was growing up we still went outdoors and knew how to have fun without computers, TV's, etc. No wonder the nation is obese, and life expectancy is starting to drop.

All because of talking adut-baby commercials. True story.

No comments:

Post a Comment